From the Mind of Mengel: Iron Golems

Foro Warhammer

Administrador
Usuario Habitual (3/7)
Me gustas
Have you heard the warcry that went up across the Mortal Realms? Want to make your Iron Golem warband look good enough to impress Archaon himself? Well, Tyler Mengel is on hand to show you how.

Tyler-Banner-500high.jpg

Tyler: As soon as I cracked open my Warcry Starter Set I was enamoured with the heavily armoured Iron Golems. There’s something about them that’s just so cool looking. I was excited to try out an idea I had which involved basecoating the whole model with Leadbelcher spray, then using Contrast paints to tint the metal to look like gold, brass, and so on.

I also wanted to try my hand at a more rough and weathered look. It’s something I’ve seen other painters pull off, especially with the Horus Heresy line from Forge World, but not something I’d ever really tried myself. Lots of weathering and lots of gore – those were my two guiding principles going into this project. Trying a more traditional Chaos look with blackened metal instead of the red seemed like a great choice for these Iron Golems too. With all of those ideas in mind, I ventured out into the Bloodwind Spoil to begin painting my warband!

The Armor and Metallics

Step 1: I basecoated the model with the Leadbelcher spray.

TylerMengel-Sep19-Step1grh.jpg

Step 2: Next, I went over all of the areas that were going to be the blackened metal with two coats of a 2:1 mix of Black Templar and Contrast Medium. Make sure you wait for the first coat to dry before doing the second. By diluting it with the Medium you have more control over how dark you want it to be. The idea was that I still wanted it to have a bit of a metallic sheen.

TylerMengel-Sep19-Step2nmgt.jpg

Step 3: I then neatened up the areas that were going to be iron, gold, or brass with Leadbelcher.

TylerMengel-Sep19-Step38htg.jpg

Step 4: The areas that were going to be bare iron, such as the weapons and chainmail, were shaded with Nuln Oil.

TylerMengel-Sep19-Step4gnt.jpg

Step 5: All of the gold areas were painted with two coats of undiluted Nazdreg Yellow, which tinted the Leadbelcher to look gold.

TylerMengel-Sep19-Step5hyf.jpg

Step 6: All of the brass areas were painted with one coat of undiluted Gore-Grunta Fur.

TylerMengel-Sep19-Step6gdg.jpg

Step 7: I then lightly drybrushed the whole model with Stormhost Silver. I concentrated on the edges of the armour so that the black colour was not overpowered. The weapons and chainmail could be hit a little harder but I was careful not to overdo it.

TylerMengel-Sep19-Step7frs.jpg

Step 8: I used a bit of sponge to lightly dab Stormhost Silver onto the model, focusing on areas that made sense for there to be battle damage. Doing this on all of the metallic colours gave a realistic, random pattern of damage on the model. Afterwards, I went back with Black Templar to darken down the areas on the model that got hit too hard with the sponge. Less is more!

TylerMengel-Sep19-Step8gr.jpg

Step 9: Lastly for the armour, I went in with a fine detail brush and picked out the edges that I felt weren’t highlighted enough from the previous steps with Stormhost Silver. This didn’t turn out to be a whole lot, so it was mostly to just bring a bit more definition to those areas. I added scratch marks and connected some of the sponge damage into larger pieces of damage, also picking out the rivets at this point.

TylerMengel-Sep19-Step9grs.jpg

The Weathering

Step 1: To start the weathering I watered down some Skrag Brown until it was extremely watery, painting it onto areas of the iron where rust would collect – concentrating on random patches of the chainmail and on the weapons.

TylerMengel-Sep19-Step10rsg.jpg

Step 2: I then added some verdigris to the gold and brass areas with Nihilakh Oxide. I varied how much this was watered down across the model for some variety in tone. I wanted this to be a little random but focused it around seams and rivets, overlapping it onto some of the blackened iron in places.

TylerMengel-Sep19-Step11mgr.jpg

The Skin

Step 1: All of the skin was basecoated with Ionrach Skin which took a few thin coats to get solid coverage.

TylerMengel-Sep19-Step12grs.jpg

Step 2: Next, I shaded this with a 1:1 mix of Agrax Earthshade and Lahmian Medium. If any of the recesses weren’t dark enough, I went back in and to touch them up a bit.

TylerMengel-Sep19-Step13rvs.jpg

Step 3: I then layered Deepkin Flesh onto the skin, leaving the previous step visible in the recesses.

TylerMengel-Sep19-Step14ntd.jpg

Step 4: Finally, I highlighted the skin with Pallid Wych Flesh by picking out edges and other raised areas, keeping these highlights relatively thin. I also picked out the rivets on their skin with Agrax Earthshade. I painted the skin rivets with Stormhost Silver at this point too.

TylerMengel-Sep19-Step15myg.jpg

The Base

Step 1: Now that the model itself was done, all that was left was the base and the blood effects. I started my base by painting the top Rhinox Hide before going over it with Agrellan Badland. Once that was dry I shaded it with Seraphim Sepia, followed by a drybrush of Screaming Skull. I wanted to connect my model to the base a bit more, so I used some Forge World weathering powder around their feet and on the base in patches before sealing the whole thing with Stormshield.

TylerMengel-Sep19-Step16btrd.jpg

The Blood

Step 1: I wanted my blood to have a darker, thicker look to it, so I mixed a little bit of Black Templar into Blood for the Blood God. This mix was painted on the heads of all of the hammers, splattered on the base and across their arms, head, shoulders, and chest. I tried to keep the splattering on them to a minimum, they’re not Khorne worshippers after all! I then went back with pure Blood for the Blood God and used this near the edges of some of the darker blood, to make it look like it was getting thinner near the edges.

TylerMengel-Sep19-Step17gvn.jpg

TylerMengel-Sep19-Warband3gd.jpg

I painted my entire warband all at once and it went pretty quickly. By the time I finished the Contrast paint on the last model, the first one was already dry. The only part that really took some time was basecoating the skin as I wanted to try and be neat with it so that I didn’t have to touch up the armour too much afterwards.

Now my Iron Golems are ready to crack some skulls in the Bloodwind Spoil! I’m excited to expand them further with the release of the warband as their own separate box – they’ll need to start recruiting new members as I quest across the Eightpoints!

Thanks, Tyler! Fancy trying this paint scheme for yourself? Grab yourself a box of Iron Golems now.